Monday, November 7, 2016

Reading Notes: Jataka Tales, Part B

I know I said in my Famous Last Words post that I was going to try and read something else besides fairy tales but I could not help myself! I absolutely hate not finishing a book or article or story. I had only completed part A so I have to complete part B now!!

The Wise and Foolish Merchant


  • A wise merchant and a stupid young merchant were traveling through the same city and bought a puppy of goods they were going to sell as they traveled the country
  • The thrifty merchant did not want to travel together.
  • The foolish young merchant decided he would go first
  • I could write a story about the demon who tricked the young merchant but not the wise one.      
                   - in my story maybe the demon has dialogue with the merchants or maybe the wise one 
                     convinced the young one to go first because of the demon.


The Elephant Girly- face

  • Girly- face is a super kind elephant that overheard some robbers talking about how to show no pity for people they are robbing. Girly-face overheard this and was convinced that is how he was suppose to treat people now
  • They sent good people to talk her his stall to convince him to be kind and it worked!
  • I think I could make a story up about bullying in school and how when people talk it is so easy to convince a little kid that is how one is suppose to act.


The Banyan Deer

  • Deer the color of gold and eyes were like round jewels. 
  • This deer reminds me of the one that Sita wanted Rama to catch for her, maybe I could write a story about the deer that Sita wanted!!!!


The Princess and the Water- Sprite

  • Story about Prince of the Stars, the Moon Prince and the Sun Prince.


The King's White Elephant

  • Kind of  a sad story but the white elephant was always well taken care of. 


The Ox Who Never Envied the Pig

  • Ox named Big Red
  • Young brother named  Little Red
  • Do not be envious of people for what they have because you do not know what will become of them. 


Grannie's Blackie

  • I could write a story about the encounter black, the elephant, had with the man trying to pass the river with his wagons. 
  • Blackie was a smart elephant and would not leave until the merchant gave him what he promised him. 


The Crab and the Crane

  • The story about the crane tricking the fish in a shallow pond to be carried to a big pond to only be eaten by the crane
  • The crab did not fall for it though!


Why the Owl is Not King of the Birds

  • Apparently owls and crows do not get along which is why the owl is not king but the turtle dove is. 
Bibliography: The Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt. Illustrated by Ellsworth Young. 1912.

No comments:

Post a Comment