Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Growth Mindset: Stories About Growth

Being a science major and sometimes one of the very few women in my classes I absolutely hate pointing out gender differences. Like when people say, "Men are just good at math." Like yes, that MUST be the reason why there are only 5 women out of 40 in my calculus III class!  It really does not get anymore close minded than that.  People like that are the reason why there were only 5 women in my calculus class... because we have been told our whole lives, women just are not good at math. But this is not what I am writing about! (I just got side tracked by one of my tangents).

After reading the prompt for this Growth Mindset challenge I started to really think about some of the characters I have read about this semester and what kind of mindsets they had. Women do not play huge roles in most of the Indian Epics but most of them have relatively open minds. Rama told Sita she did not have to follow him but she was willing to try something new and not afraid. Savitri was willing to marry Satyavan even though she knew he would die after a year of marriage. In the story, The Divine Brothers, the youngest wife grabbed at opportunities and brought her family riches.

These women and many more have all practiced a growth mindset the way I see it. Savitri could have easily not married Satyavan when she found out his curse that he had no idea about. She chose to stay with him and grow. In the end she was able to persuade Yama to give him a second chance.
The women in the stories seem to not let bad luck or circumstances get them down but keep fighting on.


No comments:

Post a Comment