Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Storybook Favorites


After looking through a few storybooks I chose the three that stuck out the most to me. Two of them are pretty similar in their layout and the third is pretty different in how the writer chose to do his or her layout.

In the first storybook, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Missing River, the writer had a different layout than most of the others. The title drew me in simply because Sherlock Holmes is a house name that most people are familiar with in the modern day and I thought it interesting how the writer was going to link Sherlock Holmes to an Indian Epic. The introduction was very intriguing and of course made me want to continue reading, like a good mystery should. The only problem is, I was confused on what the storybook was about, which I guess vagueness is what makes a book a page-turner. I also really enjoyed the layout and how it was made to look like a diary entry from Watson. The author did a really good job of tying the pictures into the story line as well.



The next two storybooks I chose took the same approach to their layout.

The first titled, Indian Epics: Indra. The title and introduction page are not as eye catching as the other two storybooks but the opening line caught my attention enough to make me want to keep reading. A ranting King of Gods that did not realize he had an audience (us, the readers) at first is humorous enough to intrigue me to keep reading. The author then is inviting the reader to read the next few stories so we can decide for ourselves whether or not this King of Gods deserves what has been brought on him. As seen by the recent Netflix series Making a Murderer, no one likes better than to watch or read stories about others and make their own judgment about the situation.

The next storybook I chose and probably my favorite is, Hindu Beasts. It reads like a children's storybook and brings me back to my childhood. Maybe it is my love of Harry Potter and the title intrigued me due to the Magical Beasts movie coming out over the holidays but nonetheless, the writer did a good job keeping my attention after reading the first sentence of the introduction. I liked how unlike the other two, the writer had a brief overview of the stories within the storybook. Basically letting the reader know, hey you do not have to read these stories in order but read the one that is intriguing you the most first. People like to feel in control even if it is just which order one reads their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment