Friday, August 19, 2016

My Favorite Place... So far

After taking a while to think about where my favorite place was (strangely I have never really given it much thought) I could not take my mind off Haystack Mountain in southern Oklahoma. In reality it's not even a mountain, technically it is a plateau but to a native Oklahoman it most definitely is considered a mountain and don't tell us any different! 
The thing about favorite places is when you really start to think about them, you want nothing more than to be there in that moment and that is how I decided Haystack was my favorite place. I thought about all the places I have been (it's not many) and I could not take my mind off the place I had been a hundred times and how I would give anything to visit in that moment. 
Unfortunately for this particular assignment there are not many pictures on the internet of the lone plateau in Greer County Oklahoma so I chose my second favorite place. The Garden of the Gods. 

Garden of the Gods is basically a rock climbers, geologist, outdoor concert,tourist, bicyclist, runner, Colorado lovers dream. Literally if you think you might slightly enjoy any of the above you would love this place. You can thank the Rockies for the unusual vertical tilt of the rocks, during their formation the pressure built up caused the tilt of the basement rock to tilt vertically. The love I have for this place may come from a geological place in my heart but no matter, I think most would agree is is beautiful. 


  
Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Candace, I would really like to get to go to Garden of the Gods someday... I teach a mythology class, after all. It's kind of embarrassing NOT to have been there, ha ha.

    And about that Haystack Mountain: maybe next time you get a chance to go there, you could take some pictures and put them online to share with people! As you can see, a big part of the Internet's success is people's generosity in sharing their images and writing online. I'm definitely an Internet optimist in that sense: when I compare what was available online back in 1999 when I first started using the Internet and now, it is incredible: people have shared so much online at sites like Flickr and many others, and we are all the beneficiaries.

    And about mountains: they play a huge role in the geography of India AND in the stories of India, so maybe that is something you will want to explore! :-)

    ReplyDelete