Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Reading Options

I believe I am going to choose option 1, R.K. Narayan's version of the Ramayana. I had no clue the Bizzell has pre-loaded Kindles students can check out and I find that pretty awesome. 
If I end up not finding the time to make my way to the Bizzell to check out the book, I can just purchase it on my personal Kindle which makes it easily accessible. 

I have never or at least knowingly heard or read an Indian Epic or folklore. The last time I even had exposure to mythology in a classroom setting was when I took Greek Mythology way back in my middle school days. Of course here and there in most of my English classes the professor would touch on a children's story or folklore/epic but never too in depth. 

The title of this course caught my eye because I did not know much about India and thought it would be interesting to compare the folklores and tales I do know to India's Epics. So far I have enjoyed the short stories we have been exposed to and am excited to get started in on the Ramayana to see what it is all about. 

This is not the only picture that caught my eye but while looking through the image library I noticed a trend. Most of the images about Indian folklore are violent and gruesome in some ways. I know nothing of the Indian Epics so the images intrigue me to read more epics so to understand the images better. 


Vishnu slays Madhu-Kaitabha

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Indian folklore consists of mainly God helping devotees or killing demons. All the killing and fighting tales will have violence depicted in them.

    ReplyDelete