Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week 8 Growth Mindset

As I sit here and contemplate about the last 8 weeks I can't help but think what an odd semester it has been for me. At this point in the semester I usually have my groove my down, my schedule is on lock and I'm comfortable (stressed but comfortable I would like to add).

I told myself when I was readmitted into OU I would push myself more than I ever had. I don't want to say I have reached my goal because there is oh so much I have not even done yet; but I knew I was on the right track when today I had to pull out my agenda and double check what time my class started. You see as I mentioned before, I ALWAYS have had my schedule memorized from week 2 of school. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and have so much going on I am in week 8 and still do not know when my classes start. For some this is no big deal but for me it's an indicator that I am taking risks and stepping out of my comfort zones.

I really enjoy learning about growth mindsets and growing my own mind with these exercises. Unfortunately I overloaded myself so much I barely have time to finish by required assignments. The thing I enjoy most about this course is having the freedom of when you get to turn in the course work (to an extent). You set us up for success by being very upfront and laying it all out for us to see.

Prioritizing seems to be my next growth to tackle. I always thought I was good at this one until recently. I realized I was not. Not just prioritizing which class assignment should I do first but what should I put first. School, work, friends, family, sleep, undergrad research opportunity, healthy lifestyle??? So much prioritizing in that last sentence it almost stressed me out to type it. Hopefully I can prioritize some more time to do some growth mindset exercises in these last 8 weeks!



5 comments:

  1. I have a type A personality so keeping everything written down in my agenda is a huge priority for me too. Not having your schedule memorized by now is crazy! But I've been there too, and I think it is a good sign that your are challenging yourself and building time management skills. Balancing school with life is the most important thing we learn in college and everyone's balance is different. So, good luck testing those boundaries to find what is best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candace! It's great that you're challenging yourself this semester and I'm sure your hard work will definitely pay off. In my opinion, it's terribly difficult to find that balance and as your schedule gets busier it's harder and harder to properly prioritize. I have learned that investing in people has taken me the furthest, though, and since I'm always trying to spend time with people when I can, I've found that that has helped me plan out my homework time a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand how you’re feeling. Sometimes we get so focused on what we should do that we often times forget about what we are actually able to do. This is why an agenda is such an essential item for me. Without it, I would idea how I would be able to get through the semester without turning everything in late. I hope you will be able to get back on track soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely feel where you are coming from. It seems like there often are not enough hours in the day to juggle the plethora of items we have on our agendas. I think life always has a funny way of working things out. I know you're going to be able to end up just fine as you are determined. I am hoping for the same for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prioritizing is definitely a difficult skill to conquer. I don't know if any of us will ever succeed in it completely! I have the issue of saying yes to too many things and then prioritizing becomes nearly impossibly because I have volunteered to do so many things of equal importance that I inevitable let some people down. The word "No" is really a beautiful word. My favorite saying is, "It's always better to under promise and over deliver."

    ReplyDelete