Thursday, September 1, 2016

Story: The God of Fire

I'm not sure how it happened. It is kind of a whirlwind of events and all of a sudden I find myself here with Vayu, the god of wind, and Yama, the god of death. All day long I light candles and burn incense. I am the God of Fire! I should be out hearing the prayers of my followers and answering their sacrifices. Instead, I am here in Lanka serving under the dreadful Ravana.

You see, it was not always like this. I was a God honored by many. Humans would perform ceremonies and sing hymns all in appreciation of the fire I created to make their weapons, cook their food and keep them warm. One day I was alone with my thoughts, situated somewhere between the Sun and the Earth, when I heard a large ruckus from somewhere to the East. This loud situation was very out of the ordinary for the space between the Sun and the Earth is very quiet which is why I went there to be with my thoughts.

By the time I reached the commotion I realized there was an army of hundreds of soldiers. The most decorated officer announced, "I have come to take those willing to serve Ravana in his kingdom of Lanka." Vayu, the god of wind, insisted to the officer, "You must have been sent to the wrong place for we are gods and do not serve a single human or god but serve the rich and poor, from high to low, East to West and North to South." The well trained army remained expressionless and motionless as the most decorated officer spoke, "This is no longer a request but an order from King Ravana. He must have comfort in knowing he has gods in his kingdom he can trust to do their job correctly." In this moment Vayu, the god of wind, sent a gushing wind toward the army in hopes of knocking them down and making a getaway but the wind gust had no effect on the army and they stood their ground.

A Watercolor Painting of Ravana from Wikimedia Commons


In the short moment after the gust of wind there was a small whistling sound and in a moment's notice the army jumped into action. Multiple events happened at once. First my hands were down at my sides unable to move, second, a tornado began to form in the near North and third, I began to move without moving my feet. As the tornado ripped through and blew away a few of the soldiers causing confusion I channeled my efforts but could not make fire. During this time is when I realized they had to be practicing some sort of black magic to curtail our powers until we were with King Ravana in Lanka where he reigned.  

After a day and a night's trip we reached Lanka where we were greeted with flowers, garlands and music. It is quite an unnatural feeling, as you can imagine, involuntarily being taken but accepted with open arms of cheer. Not until this moment when I looked back at the end of the procession did I notice Yama, the god of death. He is a quiet man that hopes to go unnoticed until the right time. I yelled out, "Yama! Old friend!" and tried to move closer but the army kept us far apart and after a sensation went through me I could no longer shout.

The procession seemed like it would never end but when it did we were standing in front of Ravana. "Old friends! How kind of you to come when I am in such a troubled situation. You see, the streets are full of unwanted garlands and flowers after I walk down them and need to be blown off. Our city is without light and needs to have candles lit throughout and someone to burn our incense. I am most troubled by not knowing what time it is and need to be notified of every hour that passes in the day." At this moment I realized he wanted us to do petty jobs for him because he did not want to share us but wanted all the praise us deities get for himself. With an army as big and strong as Ravana's protecting him, an escape was impossible, so here we are today: Vayu, Yama and I in the very place we do not want to be serving the King least loved from the Sun to the Earth.

          
Author's Note: In the Ramayana by R.K. Narayan, Soorpanka runs to her brother, Ravana, for help in the city of Lanka where he reigns supreme lord. Here in this city Ravana has enslaved several gods to do petty jobs such as sweep the halls, light the lamps and keep the time. This particular passage in the Ramayana about the gods being enslaved, though just a short paragraph, intrigued me. 

The first thought that came to mind while reading was, how did they get to Lanka? That is when I thought of writing a story about how gods could wind up under the control of the evil demon, Ravana.  In telling the story the way I did I really wanted to show the reader how heartless Ravana is. I wanted there to be no doubt that Ravana is the antagonist throughout my stories. 

In the original story of The Ramayana: Book 7, Uttara Kandam Ravana wages war on the gods. He takes them prisoners of war and places himself above all the deities. In the story I have written the gods possess magical powers to attempt to break free from Ravana's capture. I chose the story to be told from the point of view of Agni, the god of fire, to better understand the situation he, Vayu and Yama have gotten into.     

Bibliography: The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic. Written by R.K. Narayan in 1972.

12 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to here more about the jealousies and intrigues between the gods. This story shows a great example of that. I doubt Ravana's actions are ever so straightforward. He seems akin to Loki or Hades, always scheming and always ready to trick someone. No doubt the gods have experienced their fair share of trickery.
    I'm interested in the fact the god of death isn't an inherently evil character. He suffers just as much as the gods of wind and fire do. This may signal a greater acceptance of death in Indian culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very creative spinoff! I really like the direction that you took this story in. You did a great job with your descriptions. It was very easy to vividly imagine this scene. I thought it was interesting that you made the characters be taken against their will, but then they were welcomed joyously into Lanka. This was an interesting twist. I thought that it was kind of eerie, and really added to the overall appeal of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it. You did a good job making the gods seem powerful, but also personable. Adding the bit about Yama wanting to go unnoticed was a really good touch. I feel like he has the worst job. At the least the other gods could use their powers to do their work. Also, I have to wonder if the god of death was buy watching clocks, what happened to everyone that died? Did they still die? Was everyone immortal during that time, or did they get stuck in some sort of limbo? I'm getting off topic. Thanks for a nice read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a good story. Ravana is written to be a very strong character, and I feel that all you examples prove to support this personality of his. I really like how you described exactly what acts Ravana made the other gods to do. The cliffhanger of not knowing of the gods ever were released of Ravana's rule is heartbreaking. There were very few grammatical errors in your story. Just in the beginning of your story I would change a few parts.
    For example:
    "myself here with Vatu, the god of wind and Yama, the god of death"....
    to --> "myself here with Vatu, the god of wind, and Yama, the god of death"

    "we were where they wanted us to be and that was Lanka, where King Ravana reigned. "
    to --> "we were where they wanted us to be, and that was Lanka, where King Ravana reigned. "

    There was great use of transition in your story... For example:"First my hands were down at my sides unable to move, second, a tornado began to form in the near North and thirdly, I began to move without moving my feet."

    The picture used also added to the feel of the story that Ravana was a very powerful character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a great job writing this story! I just had one opinion:
    Paragraph 4: “we were where they wanted us to be and that was Lanka…” is a hard sentence to follow. Maybe change it to “we were forced to where King Ravana reigned, Lanka”. Also, is the paragraph suppose to be centered? I didn’t know if there was a significance.

    Paragraph 6: His realization wording was a little confusing to me. I was wondering if it’d be better as “At this moment I realized why he wanted us to do these petty jobs. He wanted to keep all the people’s praises for himself and not share with us.”

    I like how you chose to tell his story from a prisoner god’s perspective. This story brings out how heartless Ravana was and I like how you captured that because reading the original, I feel like you don’t really get that. The wording was easy to follow and I think you set up the characters well. I like the personality you gave to your God of Fire. He seems personable and it makes the reader empathize for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, this is a very cool story. Somehow, I missed that paragraph in the Ramayana where Ravana has enslaved some gods as prisoners of war, so this was a completely fresh idea to me. Secondly, I love Agni, and the idea of who he is in general, so I immediately wanted to read this story. I, also, like to include lots of extra details to make it more 'realistic' or in line with the mythology, so I appreciated that Yama was Agni's old friend, and Vayu was there. It all flows very naturally from the way that you've written it! Very neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought you did a great job with the story! I found that it was an easy read and allowed me to be able to stay interested and entertained the entire time! I specifically enjoyed the realization at the end in the last paragraph. I though that it was beautifully done. " At this moment I realized he wanted us to do petty jobs for him because he did not want to share us but wanted all the praise us deities get for himself." This sentence brought the whole story together in my opinion. I also really enjoy your descriptions. Like when, you mention "As the tornado ripped through and blew away a few of the soldiers causing confusion.." I could imagine a tornado in my mind that was strong enough to blow a person back. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative and interesting take on the story! The version of the Ramayana that I read didn't focus heavily on this aspect of the story, so it was great to see it brought to life. I'm always fascinated by how gods seem to worry about the concerns of mortals in this universe, almost as if they're scared of him. Would the gods not suffer from a lack of worship? I think it might be a really interesting story to explore how the gods would react to this diminishing of praise and worship; maybe it weakens them so that they can't actually perform the duties that Ravana wants them to. On the other hand, maybe it just makes them angry enough to react and rise up against Ravana! In addition, maybe the other gods that Ravana hasn't enslaved come save their fellow gods? Just a few suggestions for future stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was awesome. I love that you wrote the story from Agni's point of view. This made it much more personal. I also always enjoy reading stories that were made off of small details from the original story. I feel like there are a lot of little small piece of the Ramayana that we could use to make a larger story. It also gives you a lot more room to be creative when you spin off a small detail. I can tell you're a very good writer. I enjoyed being inside Agni's head the whole time and hearing his thoughts. I loved when they finally got to Ravana and he told them the reasons he needed them there. Like you said, such petty jobs ESPECIALLY for gods. You reached your goal of trying to portray Ravana as the antagonist. You can tell he is using their duties as a form of mockery. Your story was extremely easy to follow and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read both of your stories and decided to leave feedback on this one instead of the football story because sports are not really my thing! I think it's great that the different gods are taking advantage of the powers that have been given to them (like the gust of wind). Your use of dialogue for the different characters really add to your story! You may consider adding even more. Reading this, I also wonder if there really are tornadoes in India! It's such a common thing here in Oklahoma, it might be something never before seen by the people in this story. For your author's note, I would probably make it all centered instead of just the first paragraph to help with the flow of the note. It's really creative that you took just one small paragraph from the Ramayana and turned into a full-fledge story. I have a really hard time grabbing those small things, event the ones that interest me, and making them into something more. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this story! I don’t actually remember reading that small paragraph about Ravana enslaving Gods and having them do petty jobs so this was pretty cool to find out about it this way. I really think you wrote an interesting story that explains Ravana perfectly well. You were also able to describe the way that all the gods felt about it to. I mean if I was a god and some dude wanted to take me knowing full well that I have abilities to fight back but can’t would be an awful experience. Then only to be super confused about why this guy wants you until you find out that your life is just going to be reduced down to being a glorified house keeper. Often times to really express what characters are actually feeling while writing is hard to do but I think you were able to perfectly represent their emotions in this story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this was such a cool concept! I remembered this part about Ravana enslaving the gods and making them perform mundane tasks but I certainly didn't give it as much thought as you did! I really like how you thought a lot about how they were taken and how they felt having to work for Ravana. It would be cool if you could do a bit about when they were released maybe, but it was very nice overall!

    ReplyDelete